Tamiya CR-01 UNIMOGPosted by xilsoe Oct 16, 2017 20:02:54 Yesterday I took the UNIMOG trailing with the local trail group. It was in one of the members garden and one of the guys made a nice video. Thanks:
The UNIMOG can be seen at 2.30. The UNIMOG performed flawlessly and was a pleasure to drive.
Tamiya BruiserPosted by xilsoe Aug 02, 2017 20:59:37 Finally I have managed to get an after market decal set for the Tamiya Mountaineer with the purpose of 80ifying the bruiser. I always thought my Bruiser was a little dull looking and I thought the colours in the Mountaineer decals would match the off white body colour.
I only used a few of the decals as I am afraid it will be too much. I can always add more decals if I want to.
Tamiya BruiserPosted by xilsoe Jul 29, 2017 12:54:29 Last week I found the time to take the gearbox out of the Bruiser so the slipper clutch could be tightened. Not so much to taking the gearbox out. It seems to be designed for easy removal. I did have to cut some cable ties I had added so the cables wouldn't be all over.
When doing this kind of thing it is always nice to have the manual at hand. This will show how things comes apart and goes back together. One frightening thing I found when I had taken the gearbox apart was that a shim and a bearing was missing.
Apparently I had assembled the gearbox wrong when I put the slipper clutch in. The Bruiser had been running fine even without the missing parts, but now i have put them in as I believe it is better to have the gearbox assembled correctly.
I haven't tried the Bruiser out in terrain yet so I don't know if I am content with this adjustment. The test run indoor does however show that there is much less slip in the slipper clutch now. So this operation was definitely an improvement.
Tamiya BruiserPosted by xilsoe Apr 21, 2017 21:18:30 As I finally had all the parts to install the PCB I designed, I updated the lights installation. 18 LEDs give a lot of soldering when wires and connectors are attached. I have completed it and I am happy about the result. Should a problem occur, it will be much easier to isolate and fix the problem. Further the wiring is much better in my view.
The wiring is in no way protected from water so I'll have to keep this car away moist
Here are some pictures of the PCB and the LEDs installed in the body:
This completes my Tamiya Bruiser build log. Future updates regarding the Bruiser will be modifications, repairs, upgrades, usage experiences and other posts relevant to this car.
I hope somebody on the big internet will find this build log interesting and useful
Tamiya BruiserPosted by xilsoe Apr 02, 2017 21:00:45 As I stated earlier, I wasn't very happy with the lights installation I had done, so now I have made a PCB for doing power distribution. Basically it is a lot of connectors and resistors and a fuse. I have all the components for the board, but I am still missing some parts for the connectors so I haven't installed it in the Bruiser yet. I did however put components on one of the boards. The price for one board was the same as for 10 boards, so now I have 9 boards I don't use.
If anyone reading this is interested in one of the boards, please write a comment to this post stating so. Otherwise they might come in handy to me for other projects.
I know this is a simple board, but I am mighty proud of it anyway :) Now I am looking forward to having it installed in the Bruiser.
Tamiya BruiserPosted by xilsoe Mar 30, 2017 20:46:57 After some thinking and research I decided that 3D printed metal would be the best way to widen the track width of the front wheels on my Bruiser. So I opened openscad and designed what I call a hex extender. It is designed to match a 12mm hex and has a 5ø bore that allows a 5mm M4 barrel nut to fit in.
Before this can work, a hex conversion such as the RC4WD kit is needed. Then I used barrel nuts from a kit named: Aluminum Alloy 12mm Wheel Hub Hex Drive Adaptor +10mm Offset SCX10 WRAITH Black i bought off ebay. It might also be possible to use longer wheel axles. I didn't experiment with that
The barrel nut fit very tightly into the extender so I ended up using a needle file to enlarge one of the extender bores. Further I put some grease in the bore of both extenders to avoid binding.