E-sky Lama V3Posted by xilsoe Feb 20, 2010 16:50:38
It has been a long time since last time I flew any of my helicopters. Last Thursday I was invited to fly it in the boat club. As I remembered it didn't fly well with the carbon blades and the carbon flybar, so I put my favourite parts on the helicopter. This worked out well. It really flew nicely
The only problem is the batteries LiPo batteries are best stored at not full capacity and I hadn't made sure of that, so I didn't really have any good batteries. Now I ordered a new battery so I can fly again.
I am also thinking of going brushless, when the brushes in my motors wear out. It seems to be somewhat easier, than when I studied it last time.
E-sky Lama V3Posted by xilsoe Apr 28, 2008 17:33:11
The PN Racing mini Z 9t and 10t 64 pitch pinion gears arrived last week. Today I found the time to install a 9t pinion. I had to change the motor mount to get the motor close enough for the smaller gear. I also had to remove a part of the pinion as it was way too long. This was done by mounting the pinion and spin up the motor. With the motor spinning I used a small needle file cut off the excess part of the pinion. The pinion fits perfectly on the 1,5mm motor shaft.
In the first fligth after I installed this pinion the bird flew excellent with no Low Voltage Cutoffs (LVC) that had been bothering me with the original pinion
It also seems the tail is more stabile with the 9t pinion
Perhaps now is the time to look for weight reduction of the walkera 4#3. This could make it even better.
E-sky Lama V3Posted by xilsoe Mar 15, 2008 14:50:19
They are really stiff and they are really heavy. The motors are definitely doing more RPMs and I am not sure I like that. I also think the flight time is somewhat reduced. Maybe I will do some sanding to try to give these blades a better shape.
E-sky Lama V3Posted by xilsoe Mar 11, 2008 20:01:57
Today I finally manager to get a perfect set of carbon fiber rotor blades for the Lama
First I got four A blades. Then I got two A and two B blades but one of the B blades was twisted so that had to be replaced. This happened today
So I have a perfect set of blades now. I just installed them but I havn't flown with them yet as the Tx is low on power.
They are a bit heavy. The weight was increased by 6g. The weight is about the same as a set of Xtreme blades.
Here is a link to where I bought them: http://hobbyfly.com/en/helicopters-48/helicopters-rtf-4ch-183/-2170.html?language=en
I'll write when I have tried flying with these blades.
E-sky Lama V3Posted by xilsoe Mar 01, 2008 10:48:26
A few days ago I was searching for some wires for my charger I came across some Carbon Fiber blades for Coax helicopters here: http://hobbyfly.com/en/helicopters-48/helicopters-rtf-4ch-183/-2170.html?language=en
I think this will be a nice birthday present for myself. I am going to try these on my Lama
I am hoping the bird becomes better at flying straight as these blades should be stiffer and more durable.
E-sky Lama V3Posted by xilsoe Feb 19, 2008 21:37:17
Today I received some spare parts for my helis. Among that I received an Xtreme production center flybar hub, an Xtreme production flybar link and a set of Honey Bee FP flybar weights. At the same time I had a 1,5mm carbon fiber rod lying for exactly this purpose.
All these parts were used for making a Carbon Fiber flybar.
The first thing I discovered was that the center hub was massive at the center. I decided to drill through the center so I could use one piece of carbon fiber instead of two. This was to make the flybar stronger and safer.
Then I cut a piece of the carbon rod in the same length as the Dynam Vortex flybar and glued it into the center hub with epoxy. I am not concerned epoxy won't last in this application as the load won't be that big.
When the epoxy had dried I put the flybar link on and finally I put on the HB FP flybar weights on and balanced the flybar. I placed the weights near the flybar ends as the new weights are lighter and I wanted them to have more effect because of their light weight.
The weight reduction was considerable. I believe I have saved about 6g
The Lama flies excellent as before. It has become more responsive as the flybar is lighter. It also seems that the Lama flies forever now. I am however rather carefull when flying as the handling has changed.
I think this is a good upgrade that isn't too dificult to make and has a good effect
E-sky Lama V3Posted by xilsoe Feb 14, 2008 11:32:47
Yesterday at dusk the wind had gone so I took my Lama outside to have a go at outdoor flying. I really enjoyed it as there was more room to try fast flight and large manouvers.
Regarding the carbon fiber shaft experients I made another try that failed. This time I had about 30 seconds of flight before failure.
One possible conclusion is that epoxy doesn't have the strength for this but I'll know from my next experiment.
E-sky Lama V3Posted by xilsoe Feb 08, 2008 19:39:19
Yesterday I glued the shaft once more. I had made a little flat spot on the shaft to let the epoxy fill that and make this turn the shaft.
I inserted the shaft into the Lama today and I actually made it fly
It flew for half a battery before the lower insert came loose once more and made me land quite quickly
Now I have made a larger flat area on the lower insert and will glue it again.
I still believe the carbon pipe has the strength. It seems more and more that the problem will be to make the lower shaft insert gluing last.
I'll be on to the next experiment.