Tamiya BB 62 New JerseyPosted by xilsoe Jun 05, 2011 14:44:48 Today the weather was perfect to make the maiden voyage for New Jersey. Almost no wind, no waves and bright sunlight. As I was expecting it would be difficult to mount the battery at the pond, I decided to mount it at home. And just as I expected, the hull railing was in trouble. It came loose tow places and had to be fixed. before I would go anywhere.
When I arrived at the lake and tried out New Jersey, everything went fine The ship looks good on the water and handled well.
Tamiya BB 62 New JerseyPosted by xilsoe May 29, 2011 16:46:53 I brought New Jersey along to work last Friday to take some photos. Unfortunately some railing came off before the shooting. I hope it isn't too evident in the pictures. Sten Carlsen joined me and did some of the photos below. Still no crew, I am working on it. I am also waiting for the maiden voyage.
Tamiya BB 62 New JerseyPosted by xilsoe May 20, 2011 17:41:55 This Wednesday I completed the New Jersey build Sorry, no pictures yet, and I haven't tried it out yet. It may still need some balancing to look right on the water.
I might still do some rigging and I might also add some crew. I have 144 crewmen that just needs painting to be ready. I don't think I'll add all 144 crewmen though They can also be painted to match my Yamato and other 1/350 boats.
Tamiya BB 62 New JerseyPosted by xilsoe May 14, 2011 17:16:02 The latest project on New Jersey has been to put the railing on the hull. I decided to put it on the outside of the hull top instead of on top. That will hopefully give a little extra clearance when putting the deck on. Then I also made some entrances for the anchor chains. For that I used some Tamiya epoxy putty. It was the first time with the putty for me, but it seemed to work out OK. Epoxy putty also seems quite useful for other situations.
The pictures also show the Seahawk helicopter. I haven't fixed that yet. The same goes for the link 11 antenna at the bow. I don't want to fix the link 11 antenna before I have the anchor chains completed.
Then I still need to add some antennas and if I want, add some crew.
Tamiya BB 62 New JerseyPosted by xilsoe Apr 26, 2011 15:21:35 I have been working on getting New Jersey completed. The lower deck is now almost in place and working as I intend. A bit more silicone and it is hopefully done. A functional test will be conducted at this point. The upper deck attaches nicely to the lower deck. No risk of loosing that I believe. Furthermore there should be very little risk of water ingress.
Further I have been working on the link 11 antenna. I believe it is complete. Then I am working on one of the helicopters and on the anchor chains. One in place so far. Waiting for the glue to set.
The upper deck is stitched together in one piece. This was also some project. I had to remove extra deck material and use extra polystyrene pieces to ensure good joints.
It is now also for certain that this boat is New Jersey. I put the name and hull number decals on the hull and secured them with some matt varnish.
Then I am of course missing some details that I intend to put on as the last. For one thing the hull side railing is missing. Then I could add some crew.