Tamiya BB 62 New JerseyPosted by xilsoe Apr 10, 2011 16:00:53
I reckon that progress is slow on my work on New Jersey. I have however been making progress. I have painted the hull, and I find that it looks good. Pictures can be seen below. Further I have built a transport box. This was needed before I could start putting the main parts of the deck together and I have started putting the deck together. I have decided that the deck part joints need some reinforcement, so I am putting some plastic pieces on the lower side of the deck. So far I have joined the stern and centre part together. The next step will be to join bow deck part to the centre deck.
Here are some pictures of the painted hull:
Thanks for looking
Tamiya BB 62 New JerseyPosted by xilsoe Mar 15, 2011 17:02:59
Last Sunday I brought the hull for New Jersey along to a boat fair in Bella Centeret. This was because my RC boat club has a stand there and I am exhibiting the Phantom, the Slo-mo-shun IV and the Sea-wolf. At the boat fair there is a big pool for the club and for some fishers to do demonstrations.
It was this pool that had my interest, as I have been looking for a good place to balance New Jersey. I am sorry, I currently don't have any pictures. I have found that I needed to add about 40g to the nose, besides that 45g piece of lead I already added. To get the balancing right I had drawn the waterline with a marker so I could see the waterline at a distance.
I do know that the weight distribution may change when the superstructure is added. Hopefully some adjustments to the battery position will fix that.
Tamiya BB 62 New JerseyPosted by xilsoe Mar 12, 2011 17:36:29
Since last I have attached some magnets to the lower side of the lower deck, to keep the upper deck in place. Normal CA wouldn't really hold them in place, so I decided to use silicone. I also decided to put silicone all around the magnets to protect them from water. this can be seen in the pictures below. Then I'll use washers on the lower side of the upper deck.
I also found an item that will stop water from coming in at the places I intend to use the guns for fixing the deck in place. Finally I made a boat stand. The boat stand was done quickly and nothing to show off, but it will do for now.
The next step will be to get the boat balanced and get the lower deck fixed.
Have a look at the pictures:
Tamiya BB 62 New JerseyPosted by xilsoe Feb 23, 2011 20:29:54
As I believe I mentioned earlier, I intend to put a deck below the upper deck to make it easier to keep water out. I have been doing some progress on this. I made three pieces of polystyrene that I glued together to one long piece that has the same shape as the deck. Then I have been sanding the edges so the lower deck can be placed inside the hull, below the upper deck.
Now I intend to put some magnets below the lower deck and some metal on the downside of the upper deck to keep the upper deck in place. I am still intending to use the 16" gun turrets to make a mechanical fix between the two decks.
Here are some pictures of the lower deck:
Tamiya BB 62 New JerseyPosted by xilsoe Feb 09, 2011 17:20:59
Yesterday I forgot to post pictures of the rudder installation. So here they are.
By using hex head screws for mounting the servo, I believe I can remove servo though it's placed horizontal. I also installed a servo saver. Probably not needed but nice to have.
Tamiya BB 62 New JerseyPosted by xilsoe Feb 08, 2011 17:36:34
Today I brought my New Jersey to work to try it out in water. Not so much to say. Everything went fine. The nose was somewhat high, but I was expecting that. I prefer it that way when I have no deck in place. The boat operated nicely was OK steerable. Speed was OK, not totally overpowered at least. I don't know the top speed as the pool is quite small.
Here is a picture:
It's a great day today
Tamiya BB 62 New JerseyPosted by xilsoe Jan 31, 2011 16:39:43
Yesterday I had some time to spare so I decided to install the electronics, instead of installing the rudder servo. That added "some" wires to the boat. I decided that the best way was to put everything in place by using tape and Velcro. That will keep everything in place and be easily removable.
By using Velcro to fix the battery it can easily be moved for balancing reasons. I cut the red wires in three of the ESCs so only one will feed receiver. All electronics seems to work. Only thing is that the ESCs are different, meaning they don't start at the same threshold. Let's hope that won't be a problem.
Here are some pictures of the installation:
Tamiya BB 62 New JerseyPosted by xilsoe Jan 29, 2011 16:27:32
After completing the motor installation I proceeded with installing the rudders. I now have the rudders in place. I put some polystyrene in between the rudder shafts to make them more stable. Then I secured it all by putting a layer of stabilit express on top. See pictures below.
The next thing will be to get the rudder servo installed.
The connectors for the battery arrived Thursday, so now I believe I have everything I need to complete the RC installation. I made a charge cable and the connecting cable for the boat.
Have a look at the pictures: