heliblog

heliblog

RC Helicopter flying, RC Cars and RC boating

Made for other people and me to track what I am doing when with my remote controlled units. It started out with helicopters. Hence the name.

If only one of my units is of interest, this unit can be clicked on the right and only posts regarding that unit shows up.

This blog is open for comments so feel free to leave a comment.

New car running now :)

Anderson 1/18 TruggyPosted by xilsoe May 02, 2009 15:07:12
One week ago I visited the hobby fair in Valby. Here I saw a lot of exciting hobby stuff. There was a lot of train and some other hobby shops. RC stuff was also there. The result was that I bought an 1/18 Anderson Truggy. There was no electrics included so I had to buy a new motor, ESC, servo and I found out I also needed a new battery.

I bought the motor, ESC and servo immediately and went home to mount it all. The most interesting thing is that I decided to go for a 3500kV brushless outrunner that would operate with 3s LiPo batteries.

Installation went well, except for when I had to replace the motor shaft. There was no way I could get that shaft out, so I had to go back to the shop the next day to get it replaced. That went well, but a few magnets came out and were put back in.

Later I found out the magnets had been placed incorrectly. This meant that the car would only go very slowly forward. As I knew the magnets had been out I figured that was the cause for the faulty motor operation so I took out some of the magnets and figured out how they should be placed. After this the motor worked fine. One detail was that I had to cut off about 1 mm of the shaft. Otherwise it wouldn't fit. At the same time I flattened a part of the shaft, where the pinion would be fixed. That should secure the pinion better.

After having re-fitted the motor the car was ready to go. I went outdoor and raced it for a short time. Then the ESC would start doing cut-off and that only got worse. When I stopped racing, the battery was hot and deformed. That was when I concluded I would need a new battery and one was ordered.

Yesterday the new battery arrived and today I had the time to try it out. The new battery is a 3s LiPo. I was amazed how fast that car would go with that battery. I didn't have a lot of room so I hardly tried it out at full speed. The speed potential seems great :)

The next thing will be to get it painted and to show it off to my collegues. Some of them have similar cars. Regarding the paint scheme I am considering a gold and black paint scheme but on final decision yet. Painting isn't urgent right now. Instead I should get on with the boat I am building.

  • Comments(0)//heliblog.moller-ilsoe.dk/#post157