RC Helicopter flying, RC Cars and RC boating

Made for other people and me to track what I am doing when with my remote controlled units. It started out with helicopters. Hence the name.

If only one of my units is of interest, this unit can be clicked on the right and only posts regarding that unit shows up.

This blog is open for comments so feel free to leave a comment.

Brushless upgrade succesful :)

walkera 4#3Posted by xilsoe Apr 12, 2008 15:34:37
Yesterday another ESC arrived so i could have another try on getting the Walkera 4#3 upgraded to brushess. I was concerned if the motor would still work; last time I tried the upgrade I incidently de-isolated one of the motor wiressmiley
I didn't know any way to put the insulation back on the lead so I put some heat shrink on the de-isoated lead.
Luckily the motor was still OK. Otherwise I would have to wait a long time for a new motor.

This time I was very careful when I did the installation. Every time I had made a change I tested if the set-up was still OK. I did that until the installation was complete so I immediately would know what went wrong.

The first problem I encountered was that one of the solderings I had done at my previous upgrade attempt was failing so I had to re do that soldering. This made me rather nervous as the light in the 4in1 disappeared and I believed I had destroyed the 4in1. I was quite releaved when I found that bad soldering smiley

When that soldering was fixed, the set up worked. The only problem was that the motor was turning the wrong direction. This meant I had to switch two of the wires to the motor around.

After that I mounted the ESC and the PWM->PPM converter and shortened the wires so they wouldn't stick out of the canopy and to reduce the weight addition.

When I was all done I found that the bird had become nose heavy so I moved the antenna installation to the tail. That solved the balance problem.

Now the 4#3 is flying excelent with this new motor that hopefully will last a long time as the walkera ones didn't smiley

I like the power of the new motor smiley I do however not like the added weight and I think the flight time is lower than with the stock motor and I will have to get used to the Low Voltage Cut-off. I also noted that I am not charging as much mAhs to my batteries after a flight as I was with stock set-up. I have read that a smaller pinion will give longer flight times so now I will start looking for a smaller pinion.

I had a look at the Walkera homepage today and i discovered they are releasing a 2,4Ghz version of the 4#3. It seems the new 4in1 has more adjustments available. That and better radio reliability would be the only reasons for getting one.

Instead of getting another 4#3 I am looking into a CP heli and recently I have started thinking of getting an RC Submarine. It seems RC Submarines are not very common and somewhat expensive.
I also found out there are two ways to make the subs dive: Dynamic and Static.
The dynamic divers uses the forward speed to submerge whereas the static divers are able to change their mass density by reducing or expanding air. At first I want to get a sub that is easy to build so I can get diving. Currently I am looking into the Robbe Seawulf.

  • Comments(0)//heliblog.moller-ilsoe.dk/#post92